Tuesday, 17 August 2010
Poppy Seed Cake
- 2-2/3 cups cake flour (do not substitute)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I did not use lowfat & I let it warm up a bit with the eggs and butter before using)
In a medium sized bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add poppy seeds and set aside.
Beat butter with an electric mixer for about one minute. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and airy; about 2 more minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Add 1 egg at a time to butter-sugar mixture, beating well after each until batter is smooth. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well.
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk (i.e. start with dry and end with dry) scraping down sides with rubber spatula after each addition. Do not over mix or you will have a tough cake.
Grease bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch cake pan (use butter and flour, shortening and flour or baking spray). Pour batter into prepared cake pan and use a spatula to spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving