Tuesday, 17 August 2010
Croissant and Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Unsalted butter for the baking dish
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 croissants, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao), cut into chunks
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Add the croissants and chocolate and mix to combine.
Transfer the mixture to a buttered, 8-inch square baking dish and bake in a 375 degree oven until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, 30-40 minutes (mine took 50).
Serve warm or room temperature.