Tuesday, 17 August 2010
Pear and Cranberry Pie with Oatmeal Streusel
For the Streusel:
- 3/4 cup regular oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 2 Tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
For the Filling:
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled Anjou pear (3 large)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or frozen (thawed)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pastry shell
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare streusel by combining first five ingredients in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
Combine pear, cranberries, 2/3 cup brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl; toss well to combine. Spoon pear mixture into pastry shell; sprinkle streusel over pear mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly and streusel is browned. Cool at least 1 hour on a wire rack.
Serve with vanilla ice-cream or a sweetened whipped cream.
This pie was simply effortless to put together.