Tuesday, 17 August 2010
- 6 Tablespoons, plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups blueberries or huckleberries
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- Vanilla Ice Cream for serving
In a medium bowl combine 6 Tablespoons sugar, 6 Tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup rolled olds, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Using your fingers, work 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Transfer the topping into the freezer to let chill for 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, stir together remaining sugar and salt, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and remaining vanilla, along with 4 cups blueberries, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 2 teaspoons of brandy.
Place 4 six-ounce fluted ceramic ramekins on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Divide berry mixture between the ramekins.
Mound some of the topping over each ramekin. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the berries are bubbly and the topping is browned; about 35-40 minutes (mine only took 25).